Name: Karen Roberts, RGN/RSCN
Job Title: Children and Young Person Team Leader/Case Manager
Registered with the NMC 8412825E
Registered General Nurse Training – South Manchester School of Nursing – 1988
Registered Sick Children’s Nurse Training – University of Chester – 1993
Institute of Supervision and Management – Wirral Hospital Trust – 1997
Leading and En-powering an Organisation – Wirral Hospital Trust – 2001
Advanced Leadership Journey – Success Factory, Cheshire – 2007
Paediatric Palliative Care Degree Module – Edgehill College – 2009
Professional Memberships & Affiliations
British Association of Brain Injury Case Managers (BABICM)
Karen joined N-Able Services in September 2012, since then she has worked with children, young people and their families with both acquired and traumatic brain injuries. These include injuries sustained at or around the time of birth or as a result of illness or accident. Karen has experience in:
- Working with both pre-and post settlement cases.
- Advocating on behalf of clients and keeping their needs and wishes as the paramount consideration.
- Working with children with complex health needs and their families.
- Working with children with special educational needs provision and of working with families from the first request for a statement of special educational needs.
- Provision of clear and comprehensive assessments of client needs and is skilled in coordination, implementation, monitoring and review of multidisciplinary team rehabilitation programmes. This includes the sourcing of appropriately skilled rehabilitation professionals and support staff, coordination of regular team meetings and clinical supervision of support staff.
Karen trained as a Registered General Nurse before taking up a role on the Paediatric unit at Arrowe Park Hospital on the Wirral where she furthered her training, qualifying as a Registered Sick Children’s Nurse.
After nine years at Arrowe Park, Karen moved to the newly opened Claire House Children’s Hospice, on the Wirral. Initially, Karen worked as a qualified care team member, progressing through care team leadership to Deputy Care Manager and finally Director of Care.
During her time at Claire House Karen was responsible for developing care plans for children with life threatening/life limiting conditions, working closely with families, other health professionals and practitioners and many other stakeholders. Karen also developed and implemented the Hospice to Home programme which offers nursing and specialist support care within the child/young person’s home environment.
As she progressed in seniority, Karen undertook responsibility for further development of care programmes for children and young adults with severe disabilities and complex health needs, encompassing their clinical and psycho-social needs. This has provided her with extensive experience and knowledge of these patients and their family’s needs and requirements.
In addition to her role in developing and delivering care packages and later supervising that process, Karen became the strategic lead for the hospice, accountable for the operational management of clinical services and responsible for their strategic development. The role also included management of the care budget, interviewing and selection of clinical staff and liaising and working with other stakeholders, such as GPs, primary and secondary care trusts and specialist education services. This has led to her developing and maintaining an excellent network of contacts in the field of children and young people’s care.
- Sexual Activity and the Mental Capacity Act – St Thomas Training – August 2016
- Care Certificate Safeguarding Modules 10 & 11, July 2016
- Introduction to Motivational Interviewing (2 day course) – January 2016
- Witness Familiarisation – Bond Solon – October 2015
- Safeguarding Training – 2013
- Employment of Support Staff – 2012
- Cognitive Approaches in Acquired Brain Injury – 2012
- Understanding and working with Acquired Brain Injury – 2012
- Moving and Handling – 2012
- Physical Approaches in Neuro Rehabilitation – 2012
- BABICM Summer Conference – 2013
- Shared Responsibility or Conflicting Priorities – 2013