Name: Laura Allen, NNEB, RGN, D32/33, Fd A
Job Title: Case Manager
Registered with the Nursing and Midwifery Council (NMC)
National Nursery Examination Board – 1987
Registered General Nurse Level 2 – 1990
D32/33 Vocational Assessor award – 1998
Foundation Degree in Childhood Studies – 2007
Professional Memberships & Affiliations
British Association of Brain Injury Case Managers (BABICM)
Laura became a Case Manager with N-Able Services in September 2006 and works with children and young people with problems as a result of an acquired brain injury and those with complex medical needs. Her work involves working closely with families and professionals. She has experience in working closely with schools and delivers training to teaching and support staff about the needs of pupils with an acquired brain injury. Laura has assisted clients and families in recruiting support staff and developing support teams to work in clients’ homes.
Laura recognises the impact that a child with complex birth trauma has on the family and can assist with strategies and support for the whole family based on her family centred care experience.
Laura has a good awareness of family dynamics and understands the different needs each and every child and family face and is able to support the whole family through the rehabilitation process.
Laura has also been involved in assisting clients and their families during the process of transition from child to adult services. This has involved assisting young people to find appropriate accommodation and development of independent living skills. This has also involved coordinating and developing the teams who are involved in supporting these clients.
Laura takes a client centred approach and acts as advocate for her clients to ensure their needs and wishes are considered in their best interests at all times.
Laura is experienced in working as a Case Manager within the medico legal process and post settlement of claims with clients, families, solicitors and financial deputies. She is familiar with attending conference with Counsel, producing witness statements.
Laura is skilled in providing assessments of client needs and in coordination, implementation, monitoring and review of multidisciplinary team rehabilitation programmes. This includes sourcing of appropriately skilled rehabilitation professionals and support staff, coordination of regular team meetings and clinical supervision of support staff.
Laura works closely with clients and the rehabilitation team to identify needs, set clear SMART goals and deliver rehabilitation programmes which are client centred and holistic.
Prior to joining N-Able, Laura worked as a peripatetic NVQ Assessor with a college in Warrington. This involved assessing candidates who were working towards a level 2/3 NVQ award in Care in a variety of care settings. She also assessed candidates undertaking NVQs in Childcare via various awarding bodies. Laura has been involved in NVQ assessing in Care and Childcare at various levels since 1995.
Laura has worked with “Looked after Children” in a residential setting. She gained invaluable experience in working with children and young people who had challenging behaviour and emotional problems. Her role also involved closely liaising with parents and all professionals within the multi disciplinary team. As a nurse Laura worked most recently at Warrington Hospital for North Cheshire NHS Trust. This was on the pre discharge ward which provided care for patients from all areas of the hospital who had difficulties preventing their discharge. This involved liaising with social services, primary care teams etc.
- Sexual Activity and the Mental Capacity Act – August 2016
- Care Certificate Safeguarding Modules 10 & 11, July 2016
- Child Brain Injury Trust- Across the Continuum – rehabilitation following mild, moderate and severe acquired brain injury, March 2016.
- Introduction to Motivational Interviewing (2 day course) – January 2016
- Medication for Nurses January 2016
- Witness Familiarisation – Bond Solon – October 2015
- The BIRT Conference – The future of brain injury rehabilitation, 30th September 2015
- Conference on Paediatric Acquired Brain Injury, International Paediatric Brain Injury Society, September 2015
- Cerebral Palsy , A journey for life, Brain Injury Group, July 2015
- Understanding and Dealing with Behaviour following ABI, Braintree Training – September 2013
- Level 2 Award in Counselling skills, Ascentis – August 2013
- Mindfulness Master class- Bangor University – August 2013
- Level 2 Course in Emotional Freedom Technique, Tania Prince Associates – September 2011
- Perspectives about spinal cord injury – June 2011
Delivery of courses and presentation
Laura teaches a module on Managing Challenging Behaviour on the N-Able Three day Acquired Brain Injury Training course. This course is an accredited City & Guilds Level 2 qualification, verified by the West Cheshire College.